The Department of Planning, Research and Statistics (PRS) is the think tank of the Ministry. It is charged with the responsibility to coordinate the Policy Formulation and Implementation of the Ministry. This mandate is carried out through Research work for Data collection, collation, and analysis in a reliable statistical methodology. Policy matters are measured through a formidable Monitoring and Evaluation framework also domiciled in the department as a means of determining whether the Ministerial Policies are achieving the desired impact or needed review in line with global best practices to improve the accomplishments of the Policies.
STRUCTURE OF THE DEPARTMENT
The department is headed by a Director and is structured along 4 (four) functional divisions as follows:
1. MONITORING AND EVALUATION
The M&E division is responsible for creating a system where the Ministry can properly coordinate all projects/programmes under its purview. It will be the guideline to determine key performance indicators and track progress from the current baseline to desired outcomes in a standardized way. It will form the basis for a uniform method of validating results achieved, understanding how and why they were successful, and lessons learned to guide future interventions. The specific objectives of the department are;
1. To build a performance management plan that will monitor progress towards the achievements of desired outcomes.
2. To establish a baseline for humanitarian, disaster management and social development programmes within the country.
3. To develop a robust data collection mechanism that provide information necessary for evidence-based decision making.
4. To determine whether projects/programmes are being implemented efficiently and offer feedback that can guide more prudent use of resources.
5. To provide guideline for periodic assessments that will inform future interventions.
2. RESEARCH AND STATISTICS
This division is in charge of ICT and records of the Organization. The division performs the following roles:
• Develop, process and manage a master Database of all Refugees, physically challenged, Elderly and Vulnerable persons measured across multi layered structured indices.
• Furnish and provide these data to other arms of the Ministry for a fact-based decision making and policy/project implementation.
• Serve as a national Data owner of all above stated persons, easing Nigeria’s dependence on data and statistics figures from International organizations.
• Serve as a credible supplier of data and statistical numbers to better measure progress/lack thereof of implemented policies of the entire Ministry.
• Conduct and organize research studies on subject matters to better capture specific Data for an informed decision making.
• Produce, process, store and disseminate timely information and reliable Operational data of the Ministry and its agencies.
• Handles the database of the Ministry and runs the statistics and charts of all items including the strength and manpower resources of FMHADMSD.
• To establish a well harmonized and rationalized organizational framework for Ministry’s Data generation and information.
• Dissemination of information and correspondence with the Ministry’s Parastatals.
• Liaison with Government Agencies and other bodies outside the Ministry.
• Preparation of Progress and Annual Reports.
• Undertake and coordinate research programs into critical problem areas of the Ministry’s activities and programs.
• It also liaises with National Research and Statistics Centres such as NIIA, IPCR, NBS, National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) and Universities to improve the strategies to achieve Humanitarian and Social objectives.
• Compile and publish relevant data resulting from performance of functions of the Ministry
• To produce the Statistical Digest on annual basis and dissemination of such statistical information for policy development, decision making and policy execution.
• Manage Library to ensure proper documentation of all research reports and following up recommendations for implementation.
• Manage membership subscriptions to relevant international organizations for the Planning, Research and Statistics department and other departments/agencies of the Ministry.
INFORMATION COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT)
The Unit is also responsible for all matters relating to ICT. The specific functions include:
• Manage and maintain the WAN and the LAN and ensure Network connectivity.
• Introduce and manage e-mail, Internet and intranet access within the Ministry, as required.
• Install, configure and diagnose PCs, hardware and software to all staff within the Ministry
• Support and monitor existing infrastructure, perform preventive maintenance work, backup and perform other regular support activities to ensure effectiveness and to provide cover on such tasks when required.
• Liaise with external suppliers and support agencies for the ongoing support and maintenance of relevant hardware and software.
• Work alongside colleagues within the ICT division on support and project work were directed
• Undertake additional duties as required by the Head of Department.
• Install and manage IT Infrastructure within the Ministry.
• Guaranteeing the smooth running of all ICT systems, including anti-virus software, print services
• Oversee help desk support to ensure that end user problems are resolved in a timely and effective manner, enabling users to access needed information and utilize technology resources effectively.
• Train and guide support specialists to effectively utilize help desk problem- management process (the identification, prioritization, escalation and resolution of end user help requests) to ensure quick and accurate responses to all end users, while emphasizing a customer-focused attitude.
• Track and analyse support calls and information requests to identify areas of need and create strategies to enhance end-user capacity and end-user reliance on support personnel.
3. POLICY AND PLANNING
This division is responsible for driving the formulation of institutional instruments and policies for humanitarian activities tandem to the mandate of the Ministry. Its functions include:
• Coordinate the formulation and review of sectoral policies and plans relevant to the Ministry’s mandate
• Coordinate the development, implementation and review of Ministry’s strategic plan.
• Identify strategic priorities for policy and programming in the Ministry and for other actors in the humanitarian and development community
• Contribute to programme/project design and annual budget preparation
• Coordinate development and implementation of annual work plans for the Ministry
• Coordinate preparation of policy briefs and Federal Executive Council Memos and Notes for the Honourable Minister.
This division is responsible for the collaboration and coordination of national and international donor agencies.